WAIS is an IB Continuum School, and nearly all students at WAIS are involved in some part of it. Students in 6th-10th grade participate in the Middle Years Programme. In 11th & 12th, students may choose to participate in the Diploma Programme or the Career-related Programme. Students may still participate in other courses, including AP and Guthrie.
The IB Mission Statement
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.
These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
The Learner Profile is the IB Mission Statement in action.The Learner Profile represents a set of ideals that give teachers, students, and community members a common purpose. IB Learners strive to be inquirers, knowledgeable, thinkers, communicators, principled, open-minded, caring, risk-takers, balanced and reflective.
IBO video about the IB Learner Profile
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) chooses to define "international education" according to the following criteria.
- Developing citizens of the world in relation to culture, language and learning to live together
- Building and reinforcing students' sense of identity and cultural awareness
- Fostering students' recognition and development of universal human values
- Stimulating curiosity and inquiry in order to foster a spirit of discovery and enjoyment of learning
- Equipping students with the skills to learn and acquire knowledge, individually or collaboratively, and to apply these skills and knowledge accordingly across a broad range of areas
- Providing international content while responding to local requirements and interests
- Encouraging diversity and flexibility in teaching methods
- Providing appropriate forms of assessment and international benchmarking
Middle Years Programme (MYP grades 6-10)
Westchester Academy for International Studies became an authorized IB World School for the IB Middle Years Programme in October 2013.
Career-related Program (CP grades 11-12)
Westchester Academy for International Studies became an authorized IB World School for the IB Career-related Programme in June 2014.
Diploma Programme (DP grades 11-12)
Westchester Academy for International Studies became an authorized IB World School for the IB Diploma Programme in 2005.
*Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), or the Diploma Programme (and in addition the IB Career-related Programme).
For further information about the IB and its programmes, visit http://www.ibo.org