In Social Studies this year, you will study American History. You will learn review the beginnings of America and study through the Civil War and Reconstruction. The topics include:
- Settlement and Colonization (review from 7th grade)
- The Road to Revolution - The Declaration of Independence (review)
- Washington's Presidency and the Jefferson Era
- The Industrial Revolution
- Texas History and the Revolution
- The Age of Jackson
- Manifest Destiny - Westward Expansion
- Abolition and Women's Rights
- The Civil War and Reconstruction
You will need colored pencils (map pencils) because we will be doing a lot of map work. You will also need a spiral notebook for the fall semester and one for the spring semester for your class notes, handouts and homework.
In Language Arts you will be reading books in many genres: historical fiction, mysteries, adventure books, non fiction, etc. You will be writing and researching topics that we hope will be challenging and exploratory for every student.
You are expected to read at home every night for at least 30 minutes (this is in addition to the time you read in class).
You will need a spirial notebook - one divided into three sections would be great. This will be your Writing/Reading Journal and will be kept in the classroom.
We will also be going to the school library to check out books.
We will be using an IB MYP (Middle Years Program) grading scale for the MYP report card. It is based on a 0-8 grading scale.
See the 8th Grade Syllabus (in Documents) and the IB tab (above) for more information!!